Dept HR Manager
The School of Matter, Transport and Energy (SEMTE) in the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering is seeking to fill the position of Department Human Resources Manager. Under general supervision of the School Director, this position will manage and perform work of considerable responsibility in administering human resource functions in a complex academic unit, with significant research and instructional emphasis. The successful candidate must be skilled in maintaining effective working relationships among a diverse population, able to provide excellent
customer service, skilled in the practices and methods of human resources management, skilled in handling confidential and sensitive information, and work effectively in an environment subject to quickly changing priorities and short deadlines. This position requires knowledge of electronic data processing and applications as it applies to human resources, knowledge of academic and university policies and procedures, and must be skilled in problem solving and decision-making.
Sch Engr Matter Trnsprt Energy
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$44,200 - $74,000 per year; DOE
1. Coordinates work activities including supervision:
- Supervises and coordinates work activities of the HR staff – assigns, prioritizes, and organizes workloads utilizing knowledge of staff expertise, to maximize efficiency and accuracy.
- Will delegate the supervisory role(s) for all HR student workers and oversee the assigned tasks.
- Recommends options as needed according to HR policies, procedures, and School objectives, to improve operational effectiveness and efficiency within established guidelines.
- Manages analytic reports for department to ensure all SEMTE employees have completed required trainings and have enrolled in benefits, etc.
2. Recruitment and Hiring:
- Coordinates all instruction related student hiring with Program Chairs to ensure appropriateness of classification and salary structure.
- Delegates and oversees the supervising role(s) for the graduate renewal process each semester in conjunction with the dept. Business Operations Manager and Research Advancement team.
- Works in conjunction with the Business Operations Manager to communicate with Program Chairs on student fellowships & awards. Follows up with commitments of the Graduate College, Fulton and SEMTE Fellowship awardees. Coordinates the tracking of commitments, ensure deadlines are being met and that funding is available.
- Provides high level Human Resources support including recruitment, compensation, classification and leaves management.
- Coordinates and manages personnel searches including obtaining approvals, applicant evaluation and utilizing Kenexa for hiring staff & students.
- Communicates and oversees ACA report trending outcomes and resolves issues as appropriate.
- Coordinates offer letters for all employee classifications, understanding the letter structure and the relation to payroll, FTE, renewal, and additional pay.
- Oversees and manages payroll processes and reconciliations. Applies knowledge of payroll to resolve overpayments, and/or other payroll issues.
- Oversees, manages, and participates in internal and external audit requests; secures audit documents when needed.
- Manages and processes all faculty summer salary in conjunction with the Research Advancement team to provide accurate pay during the summer.
4. Leaves Management and Employee Relations:
- Applies knowledge of employee relations to resolve internal department, and/or other employee relations issues.
- Assists and advises supervisors with personnel issues and builds employee relations.
- Understands leaves processes and works with OHR Leaves Partner to provide School employees accurate information regarding ADA, FMLA and Workman’s compensation claims.
5. Compensation and Classification
- Understands and reviews job classifications, salary structure and compensation to prepare job postings. Places salaries appropriately within approved salary ranges. Comps salaries at
- hire and confirms funding.
- Reviews, analyzes, and makes recommendations about staff, student, academic professionals, and postdoctoral positions to administration for promotion and salary increase requests,
- using data tools.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND seven (7) years of related administrative experience, which includes three (3) years of supervisory experience; OR,
Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience with resolving grievances, employee performance issues and disruptive behavior.
- Knowledgeable or experienced in collaborating on and implementing diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Knowledge of human resources practices, regulations, and standards.
- Experience leading, training and supervising staff.
- Experience in planning, organizing, and prioritizing work of a team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of streamlining existing processes, and creating new innovative strategies within the department.
- Experience in HR data analysis and reporting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of new and existing positions assessment/analysis.
- Experience using Kenexa/BrassRing, PeopleSoft, DocuWare, DocuSign and all Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of FMLA, FLSA, ACA and all applicable federal, state and regulatory requirements, laws and standards.
- Experience in managing and processing all visa requests for all foreign national ASU employees.
- Experience working in a fast paced, high volume office environment with constant deadlines and changing priorities.
- Ability to communicate across all levels of the organization in order to build and sustain relationships.
- Evidence of effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting.
- Use office equipment including a desktop computer.
- Lift up to 25 pounds.
- Effective communication skills are needed to perform essential duties.
- Work from general instructions on standard job duties and specific directions/instructions on new assignments.
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering on the Tempe Campus is comprised of six schools based on academic programs and research areas. The School for Engineering of Matter, Transport and Energy has a nationally recognized faculty that conducts research, instructs and mentors students, and provides service to the profession and community.
The School for Engineering of Matter, Transport and Energy (SEMTE) is leveraging the synergy of engineering and science to develop new knowledge and technologies, and create innovative solutions to society's most pressing problems. Our undergraduate programs position students for roles as professional engineers or advanced studies beyond the baccalaureate degree. At the graduate level, we provide rigorous, cross-disciplinary training and a rich research environment, immersing our students in diverse research topics that have broad interactions among disciplines, both within and beyond the school. Please visit our website for additional information: http://engineering.asu.edu/semte
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.