Are you passionate about Information Technology and securing the technological infrastructure of an organization to DoD and IC standards? Do you look for opportunities to mentor and support staff to success? Are you eager to have an impact on the standard of excellence of an organization?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are ranked as one of Computerworld's Top Places to Work in IT three years running and we are seeking a Section Supervisor to provide leadership to sponsor-aligned sections of the Highly Classified IT Services Group within the Information Technology Services Department (ITSD). This group provides operational support for over a hundred SCI and SAP facilities across the JHU/APL campus.
This role requires both leadership and technical expertise.
As a Section Supervisor you will...
- Lead and mentor a highly-technical team of 10 to 15 motivated ISSOs and System Administrators working on mission IT and cybersecurity tasks. Services include the design, implementation and support of clients, servers, InfoSec, storage, and network for facilities supporting several hundred systems and several thousand users in SCIFs and SAPs. Services are delivered using service management, and project management best practices.
- Engage regularly with mission area leadership (program and project managers) to ensure section staff are aligned on mission priorities and to communicate progress.
- Work closely with the Group Supervisor and Program/Project Managers to ensure proper staffing of tasks and to resolve staff/resource/facility conflicts.
- Recruit, develop, and oversee a diverse and highly skilled workforce with expertise in the core technical areas of the Group. Define expectations, coach performance, and provide professional development. Identify and develop key talent.
- Assist the Group Supervisor in shaping group policy and developing an execution plan for the group mission. Identify training needed to build and sustain the technical capabilities of the section. Ensure cybersecurity and engineering “best practices” are followed, and maintain a high quality of work.
And be qualified in one of the following roles:
As a Systems Administrator/Engineer...
- System Management. Create, modify and delete accounts. Implement and enforce restrictions on controlled interfaces such as USB, CD/DVD drives and printers. Conduct periodic audits of inactive accounts and ports/protocols/services. Install patches, review system logs, and resolve hardware/software issues.
- Storage Management. Implement data-at-rest encryption in accordance with FIPS 140-2 requirements. Establish and maintain file sharing and technologies such as CFS, NFS, iSCSI LUNs and storage spaces.
- Backups/Availability. Manage RAID configurations, backup strategy and software, Active Directory and LDAP.
- Networking/Infrastructure. Manage small networks including switches, routers and COMSEC devices. Implement port security configurations and VLANs.
- Information Assurance. Implement STIGs, SRGs and system hardening/patching. You will supervise and mentor a section of 10-15+ technical professional staff members. Actively coach staff members by implementing career development plans and providing constructive feedback on staff performance. Guide and oversee the technical efforts and career growth of staff. Support staff in achieving career development goals, including reclassification. Ensure effective execution of work performed in the section.
As an ISSO...
- Create and Maintain Documentation. Completing and updating documentation such as security CONOPS, Security Controls Traceability Matrix's, System Security Plans, Risk Assessment Reports, Contingency Plans. Track and maintain user agreements and training. Conduct periodic reviews of information systems to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures.
- System Development Support. Work with ISSEs, ISSMs and Program Managers to develop secure IT solutions in the classified environment. Capture and refine information security requirements and work with the ISSM to ensure that the requirements are effectively integrated into information systems. Work with the ISSM and PM on procurement and research on software/hardware products to ensure Supply Chain Risk Management compliance.
- Continuous Monitoring. Conduct system audits and analyze results for reporting. Monitor systems for compliance and vulnerabilities. Implement high priority security mitigations and coordinate critical fixes with the System Administrators and PM. Conduct periodic security testing and tabletop exercises.
- Incident Response. Monitor systems for anomalous activity (after-hours use, privilege activities, etc.). Conduct preliminary review of security events and recommend actions to the PSR and ISSM. Execute containment actions and report generation for IT spills and incidents.
- Configuration Management. Coordinate CCB activities and document changes to the IS. Initiate change requests for security related changes and conduct security impact assessments and software due diligence requests. Research, diagnose and resolve complex computer system software and hardware issues as they arise.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and the understanding of customer focus.
- Possess a BS degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, related field or equivalent experience.
- Possess 8 years of IT Operations and Service Delivery experience or related field with at least 5 years’ experience with classified networks and systems.
- Have proven Assessment and Authorization experience working with the Risk Management Framework (RMF), NISPOM, or JSIG.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience solving information technology problems and working in a classified computer facility in information, intelligence, or security areas.
- Have at least 5 years of experience working in highly classified (SCI and SAP) facilities as a Systems Administrator, Auditor, ISSO, ISSM (or combination thereof)
- Deep understanding of computer operating systems, hardware, and software.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and the ability to effectively interact with managers and technical staff.
- Have experience working in or directly supporting the Department of Defense or other U.S. government entities.
- Current DoD 8570 certification (Security+ or CISSP), or ability to obtain within 6 months of employment required.
- Hold an active Top Secret security clearance and are able to obtain a TS/SCI+poly level clearance. Current SSBI required. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have previous supervisory experience leading technical teams delivering solutions to complex IT problems.
- Experience with VMware or other virtualization software.
- Experience with government sponsor networks.
- Some practical experience with programming / scripting languages.
- Working familiarity with Director of Central Intelligence Directives (DCID), Intelligence Community Directives (ICD), and/or JSIG security requirements.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
- Primary Mission Area: Not Applicable
- Requisition ID: 24388
- Security Clearance Required on Start Date: Final Top Secret
- Final Security Clearance Required: TS/SCI w/ Poly