This position is for qualified and highly motivated PhD or MD- PhD in the interdisciplinary research program that is seamlessly integrated with research and mentoring in several areas of translational sciences with pre-clinical and clinical scientists. Reports to Dr. Devendra Agrawal, Senior Vice President for Research & Biotechnology and Professor, Department of Translational Research. Will assist Dr. Agrawal in maintaining the research laboratories and assist in the conduct of research projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Expertise in cell and molecular biology, histomorphometric and epigenetic studies will be required. The postdoctoral fellows will work in one of the research areas, including arterio-venous fistula, occlusive arterial diseases, plaque instability, rotator cuff injury, and bronchial asthma. Knowledge in cell culture and pre-clinical testing of the molecules is preferable. To have the ability to design and conduct experiments independently, write manuscripts and fellowship applications, and present their research at national and international meetings.
PhD or MD- PhD in the interdisciplinary research program
Preferred Qualifications List comments regarding work hours
5 days a week – 40 hours a week
Posting Date 10/10/2019 Closing Date Special Instructions to Applicants
Essential Job Duties
1.Supplies for Research Laboratories. Maintains and monitors an inventory/database of supplies, chemicals, etc. needed for research activities of Dr. Agrawal
2.Reagent Preparation. Prepares, labels, and stores reagents in appropriate manner for use in research projects.
Essential Job Duties
3. Design experiments, perform research experiments, collect data and analyze data. Under the supervision of Dr. Agrawal and his research collaborators, participates in designing research experiments, conducting research projects, collect and maintain records of all raw data from each experiment, and analyze data using appropriate statistical tools.
4. Assist Dr. Agrawal and his research collaborators in large animal surgeries
5. Prepare data for submitting reports to intramural and extramural funding agencies.
6. Assist Dr. Agrawal by preparing appropriate figures and diagrams with description of the experimental methods and explanation of the results to submit grant proposals
7. Write original research articles and critical review articles to submit for publication in peer-reviewed journals
8. Write and submit grant proposals, as appropriate in the rank of postdoctoral fellow/research associate, to secure funding
9.General Laboratory Maintenance and Safety. Oversees cleaning of Research laboratory on a regular basis.
Essential Job Duties
10. Use and Maintenance of Laboratory Equipment. Experience in and/or development of abilities to use equipment items to perform PCR, Western blotting, tissue sections, immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence, cell culture, optical coherence tomography, ultracentrifuge, and others. Maintain equipment in general working order. Notify Dr. Agrawal of major equipment problems.
11. Performs other duties and tasks as they relate to research and scholarly activity, as assigned by Dr. Agrawal
Do the essential functions of this job require lifting?
If yes, list maximum weight and duration
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by any employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be available to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to operate a PC in the performance of job duties, and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to sit, and reach with hands and arms, and occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.
Describe Work Environment
Duties are routinely performed in a typical laboratory setting. While performing duties in this setting the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold (non-weather), and risk of electric shock.
The employee is regularly exposed to wet humid conditions (non-weather), moving mechanical parts, and high precarious places. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat (non-weather), and risk of radiation. The noise level in this setting may be loud due to the noise of ventilation system and hydraulic body hoist.
Letter of Recommendation #1
Letter of Recommendation #2
Letter of Recommendation #3