Senior Research Specialist
Arizona State University
$42,000 - $50,000 per year; DOE
As a molecular biologist, you will be expected to apply your expertise in the fields of chromatin biology and epigenetics to develop new and novel assays for the detection of epigenetic changes following exposures to chemical, biological and radiological agents. You will be expected to design, conduct, analyze, and report on experiments to further develop new diagnostic tests. Successful applicant will be highly motivated, eager to learn/develop new lab techniques and contribute to a fast-paced lab environment. Excellent written, oral communication and computer skills & proven ability to work in a team environment are required.
- Work in an interdisciplinary team of life scientists and engineers to optimize Chromatin immunoprecipitation
- Learn and isolate PBMCs from whole blood samples
- Run experiments in the lab, including pipetting, working in biosafety cabinets, and using various laboratory tools and equipment.
- Write Standard Operating Procedures
- Analyze data generated from experiments using various methods including numerical methods and generate thoughtful interpretations of the collected information
- Present data in group meetings
- Track project progress using Gantt chart
- Upload information to sample tracking database
- Maintain careful, detailed laboratory records
- Supervise undergraduates and junior staff members
- Performther duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND four years related research experience; OR, Master's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND two years related research experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Evidence of a M.S. in biology or chemistry or related fields.
- Experience in laboratory techniques and testing procedures including PCR, chromatin immunoprecipitation.
- Experience in working independently with minimal oversight in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with developing diagnostic tests
- Experience with numerical analysis
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and techniques of the subject discipline.
- Evidence of effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience in analyzing and evaluating data.
- Regular activities require ability to manage multiple tasks at one time and to be able to prioritize tasks
- Interact in a team environment
- Communicate through verbal and written work
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting and laboratory subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- May be required to wear personal protective equipment before entering laboratories such as lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, closed toe shoes, and respirator
For the fourth year in a row, ASU has been named the most innovative school in the nation, recognizing the university's culture of groundbreaking research and partnerships, as well as its commitment to helping students thrive in college and beyond. U.S. News and World Report have named ASU as the most innovative university all four years the category has existed.
The Office of Knowledge Enterprise Development is committed to Advancing Research, Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Economic Development. We seek research funding, support faculty researchers, nurture partnerships with external partners, promote innovation and entrepreneurship, and share what we learn with the community and the world. We make discovery possible. http://research.asu.edu/.
The Biodesign Center for Personalized Diagnostics is a research center within the Biodesign Institute that focuses on personalized medicine. Promising advances in the area of personalized medicine have shown us that life-threatening diseases are as distinct in character as the individuals they afflict. The Virginia G. Piper Center for Personalized Diagnostics has been established with an eye toward overcoming the health care challenges posed by disease variance. Our Center is developing new diagnostic tools to pinpoint the molecular manifestations of disease based on individual patient profiles. The strategy promises not only to improve therapeutic care, but also to greatly reduce treatment costs by allowing for early disease detection.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To apply, please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs under Careers at ASU, click “External Staff” and enter ReqID#50325BR or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494#jobDetails=3759862_5494
Phd - 454