Job Summary: We are seeking a highly motivated individual to contribute to and lead various Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD) (i.e. Ballistic Missile Defense and Anti-Air Warfare) systems engineering activities. This includes (but is not limited to) identifying capabilities and limitations of current IAMD systems, developing requirements for new/modified systems, assisting the government with requests for proposals, developing modeling and simulation plans, working with the government and contractors to mature the design, developing a test & evaluation plan, and participating in test events as needed. The ideal candidate will lead and collaborate with teams of APL and external stakeholders to develop systems engineering plans and products that fill a critical need for the warfighter and to help achieve the Comprehensive Layered Defeat vision.
- Work with IAMD threat engineers and analysts to establish the capabilities and limitations of existing IAMD systems.
- Develop functional and performance requirements for new/modified systems that will meet the warfighters' needs. Work with government and industry to establish and mature the system design. Proactively develop integration plans well in advance of fielding to ensure a smooth and timely delivery of warfighting capability. Develop and present formal and informal presentations and reports to ensure understanding and promote a unified approach. Assist the government with requests for proposals and source selection teams as needed.
- Contribute to the A4A group culture and help define/refine the A4A group Vision, Strategy, Execution (VSE). Participate in collaborative activities, including group goal teams and A4 branch core competency development teams. Help AMDS and APL understand the Comprehensive Layered Defeat vision and apply systems engineering principles to help achieve the vision.
- BS degree in Engineering, Physics or equivalent
- 8 or more years of experience in conducting IAMD systems engineering activities for DoD sponsors
- Experience guiding an IAMD system or system of systems through the systems engineering lifecycle
- Familiarity with IAMD threats
- Proven success working in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Good communication skills in both written and verbal
- Security Clearance: Top Secret
- MS (or PhD) degree in Engineering, Physics, or equivalent
- 12 or more years of experience in conducting IAMD systems engineering activities for DoD sponsors
- Experience developing and utilizing Modeling & Simulation tools to predict IAMD system performance
- Requirements development and test & evaluation experience
- Demonstrated success in leading a multi-disciplinary engineering team and collaborating with/advising various sponsors
- Excellent verbal communication skills including demonstrated success in building/presenting technical presentations to engineering review teams as well as sponsor review teams
- Security Clearance: Top Secret with SCI access
Special Working Conditions: Up to 10% local travel within the Washington DC metro area as well as CONUS to support sponsor meetings.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.