Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan, is seeking a Dean of Arts & Sciences to join the SMC Team.
The Dean of Arts & Sciences has the primary authority and responsibility in all matters relating to the Departments of Social Sciences and Humanities; Visual and Performing Arts; Math and Science; and Communications. The Dean of Arts & Sciences is assisted by Department Chairpersons in the administration of these duties, which include the integration, coordination and efficient and effective operation of all instructional processes within the School of Arts & Sciences. The Dean has primary supervisory responsibilities for all faculty, adjunct and full-time, teaching within the School of Arts & Sciences. The Dean of Arts & Sciences reports to the Vice President of Instruction, supporting the college in goals related to the attraction, retention, development and graduation of all its students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide leadership within the School of Arts & Sciences that promotes teamwork, trust, respect, and a focus on student success.
Direct and oversee a continuous cycle of evaluation and curriculum improvement with the School’s specific disciplines, and assure the quality and viability of all regular instructional programs and courses. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
• Ensure that instructional outcomes are established for all courses and programs that these outcomes are consistently evaluated, and that needed curricular change is implemented.
• Recommend to Vice President of Instruction and the Curriculum and Instruction Committee the addition of new programs and courses, or the discontinuance of programs no longer justified.
• Work with Department Chairs to oversee the process of textbook selection.
• Assure the implementation of quality standards for course syllabi that reflect clear course objectives and a learning-centered model of instruction. Maintain a complete, up to date file of course syllabi for all degree credit instructional offerings.
• Recommend final class schedules for each semester and session to the Vice President of Instruction.
• Direct program and occupational offerings in accordance with pertinent regulations and policies of the State Board of Education and other appropriate external agencies.
Direct and oversee the recruitment of, and make recommendations for, the hiring of qualified full-time and part-time faculty and staff whose performance is consistent with the mission and vision of the College. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
• Assist in the administration of an aggressive faculty professional development program for both full and part-time faculty.
• Administer a comprehensive system of faculty evaluation and professional growth within the areas of responsibility.
• Make recommendations to the Vice President of Instruction for the employment or dismissal of faculty and staff within the areas of responsibility.
• Assist in the administration, collection and distribution of forms and data gathered through student evaluations of faculty.
• Review and monitor student evaluations of courses and faculty. Identify instances in which these evaluations are unacceptable and work with Department Chairs to implement a course of action designed to correct such a situation.
• Develop a faculty load report each term for all full-time faculty within the areas of responsibility.
Develop and maintain effective systems of both vertical and horizontal communication within the School’s departments and with other divisions within the College.
Work collaboratively with the other Instructional Division deans to assure the quality and continuity of all instructional programs.
Monitor student enrollment within the Arts & Sciences’ programs and assist in the development and implementation of recruitment strategies.
Participate in the development and implementation of administrative policy.
Organize and provide leadership for lay advisory committees in existing or planned program areas within School of Arts & Sciences.
With the assistance of Department Chairs, address and resolve student concerns and grievances as outlined in the College Academic Concerns Policy.
Maintain up to date personnel files for all faculty employed within the areas of responsibility.
Work with Department Chairs to assign faculty offices and to maintain clear records of office assignments.
Administer and maintain faculty teaching and office schedules and ensure end-of-term processing, such as final grade submission.
Evaluate student academic records such as transcripts of previous college level work, curriculum variance applications and applications for graduation.
Assist the Vice President of Instruction in the development and maintenance of mutually beneficial relationships between the College and transfer institutions, as well as between the College and high schools in the College service area.
Prepare instructional budget recommendations and supervise expenditures for the School in coordination with Department Chairs and administer the final budget.
Prepare proposals and reports to external agencies such as federal, state and private agencies as well as private industry as required.
Maintain liaison with business and industrial leadership in the College’s services area as a vehicle for program planning and revision and organize and provide leadership for lay advisory committees in existing or planned program areas.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Instruction.