The FNIH seeks a Development Officer (DO) to join a talented team of fundraisers working to secure support for biomedical research programs, training initiatives and events with five-to-seven figure funding goals. The DO will be responsible for attaining fundraising goals, building and maintaining strong relationships with current corporate and foundation donors and creating strategies to develop and solicit new prospects for first-time FNIH partnerships.
This individual must have experience developing and nurturing relationships with corporations, preferably but not necessarily in the pharmaceutical and biotech space, and with philanthropic foundations. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker, with experience gathering, analyzing and interpreting information to prepare compelling and effective proposals and cases for support; the ability to quickly come up to speed on and speak effectively about complex scientific material; and be able to comfortably manage multiple projects and priorities. Reporting to the Director of Development, this position works closely with scientific program staff at the NIH and the FNIH, as well as with other fundraisers in a team environment.
- Manage an existing portfolio of major partners, developing and maintain an in-depth knowledge and understanding of each company/organization’s priorities, and building effective working relationships with partner representatives
- Lead the fundraising team on a sub-set of programs for which you and others on the Development team are collectively raising funds; coordinating team activities and working collaboratively with scientific, finance and communications staff to advance the overall fundraising strategy and program activities. Serve on fundraising teams led by others.
- Identify and forge relationships with new prospects for FNIH partnerships, seeking to expand the organization’s donor base
- Prepare well targeted proposals and deliver pitches/presentations to current and prospective corporate/foundation supporters
- Rapidly conceptualize and implement campaign plans, including revenue forecasts, timelines, and cultivation and stewardship strategies, and evaluate results
- Develop and prepare/present complete and accurate activity reports, revenue forecasts and situation analyses regularly to internal and external audiences and leadership
- Build long-term relationships with FNIH partners through timely reports; written, telephone and face-to-face communication; events, etc.
- Maintain timely and accurate records of fundraising activity, and ensure all partnerships fulfill the requirements of the FNIH’s policies and guidelines
- Contribute positively to team cohesion
- 5-7 years of demonstrated success in corporate/foundation development; experience with the pharmaceutical/biotech industry a plus;
- Able to accomplish all aspects of the development function from basic administrative tasks to high-level strategy
- Focused and highly motivated self-starter, able to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to speak clearly, write persuasively, and listen attentively
- Experience managing multiple projects with deadline pressures and competing priorities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge
Send a resume and cover letter indicating your salary requirements to email@example.com. Please specify DOP in the subject line of your message.