UES, Inc. has a position available for a Research Scientist, focused in Biomaterials, to lead the effort on biomimetic material synthesis and characterization in support of the Soft Matter Materials Branch of AFRL at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, OH. The successful candidate will focus on biomaterial synthesis, processing, functionalization, characterization and performance evaluation. The primary focus of the work will be on developing a fundamental understanding of biopolymers and macromolecules, which display novel structure-function relationships, and translating this understanding to other material systems and applications. The ability to develop systematic experimental studies that address fundamental questions of material behavior is required.
Excellent oral and written communication skills are a prerequisite for employment. The successful candidate will be self-motivated and capable of working independently, but also successfully collaborate with researchers from different technical backgrounds.
• PhD in Materials Science, Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or related field of study.
• Synthesis and processing techniques for biomaterials and soft matter systems (colloidal, thin film, hydrogel)
• Protein biochemistry (protein expression, purification and characterization)
• Surface characterization (AFM, SEM)
• Spectroscopic techniques (FTIR, Raman, XPS)
• Mechanical analysis (surface force spectroscopy, DMA)
• This position is working within a government facility and requires U.S. Citizenship
Preferred Skills and Expertise:
• Additive manufacturing of biomaterials
• Synthesis and characterization of nanocomposites and stimuli-responsive polymers
• Soft-lithography and microfluidics
UES, Inc. is an innovative science and technology company providing customers with superior research and development expertise since its inception in 1973. Our long term success is a direct result of a strong commitment to the success of our employees. We look forward to reviewing your application.
UES is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state and local laws.